September 1, 2012

Narrow Minded Saints


As controversial as my title may suggest, this is probably my most benign post to date.   I recently took the Farmington 10th ward Priest and Teacher's quorums down to Zion National Park to hike the Narrows and Angel's Landing.

The boys and I had such a fantastic adventure.  The first day we went to a hidden swimming hole where the boys jumped off cliffs and slid down a mossy waterfall/slide and chased the little frogs that lived in the cracks in the rocks.  The weather was blazing hot and it felt good to jump off the sandstone cliffs and plunge into the cool refreshing river below. 


Jaron Erickson cliff jumping

Christian debating on whether to jump or not

Christian and me on the sandstone cliffs

The panoramic view from the river we were playing in 



The next morning we woke up early after a sleepless night due to the sweltering heat and sauna-like conditions in our tents, but we were excited for today's adventures--to hike the Zion Narrows.  The Narrows in total are more than sixteen miles long going from the top down, but we elected to be safe and conservative and hike the Narrows from the bottom up, thus allowing us to focus our hiking on the most beautiful bottom third of the Narrows as well as giving us time to explore some of the other accessory slot canyons that connect to the Narrows.

We entered the Virgin river and began trudging upstream.   Most of the hike we were shin deep in water as the river filled the path before us.  This was one of the most spectacular hikes of my life.  It was so amazing, making our way between massive 1,500-2,000 feet high walls of shear rock.  I slipped and fell several times and banged up my legs and knees tripping on hidden and slippery rocks all while trying to protect Sandra's camera from getting wet.  We hiked to the top of 'Wall Street', the narrowest and most dangerous part of the Narrows (no high ground to escape to if a flash flood came through), but also the most beautiful.  We then back tracked and explored a mile or so up the fork at Orderville Canyon.  Unlike the rest of the Narrows, this canyon was full of lush plant life, winding slots which were much more narrow with waterfalls and shallow emerald waters.  At one point we were forced to hike up and around a small waterfall.  I actually enjoyed hiking this area the most.  In total, we hiked over nine miles in about six hours, including all our many breaks.  

Dallin Hutchings and Steve Wood

Part of the group-waiting for stragglers to catch up

Entering the Narrows


Some of the boys couldn't resist climbing on every rock they came across (Taylor & Spencer Moore)

Robert


Christian, Jaxon Wortley and Scott Manookin


Beautiful Narrows 
Christian

Breathtaking


The whole group at the fork to Orderville Canyon
Distinctively different feel of Orderville Canyon


Christian and the rest of the group inching through the tight slots


After getting back to camp instead of taking a shower, resting, or at least getting dry, the boys and me immediately went into the river by our campsite and began building a dam.  For several hours we constructed a large rock wall with a four foot opening in the center for the water to flow, thus creating our own funnel shoot to ride tubes through.  Eventually, I got out and headed to the showers to clean all the mud and day off of me.  The showers at camp required a token to operate, which I soon found out only lasted for about ten minutes.  The first half of my shower I was fully dressed and used it to clean my clothes and shoes that were filthy, then I undressed and lathered myself up to be cleaned only to have the shower turn off!  I guess my time was up, yet I was still covered with suds!!  Having no other choice, I left the shower and went over to the bathroom side to the sink and had to finish rinsing off in the sink!  Not my most proud or glamorous moment, but at least no one else was around to see the ridiculous spectacle I must have made of myself!  When I got back to camp I was greeted with Hamburgers and Corn on the Cobb.  I was so famished, I had two of both, followed by dutch oven cobbler and homemade ice cream--I was so stuffed.  After suffering so much the night before with the insatiable heat, I purchased a large block of ice and wrapped it in a garbage bag and cuddled with it all night to stay cool.  I slept so much better.

Surprisingly, the next morning we all woke up early, well rested and ready for our most challenging adventure yet--to hike to the top of Angel's Landing.  This strenuous hike climbs over 1,500 feet in elevation and ends along a steep, narrow ridge to it's summit.  The hike began casually winding up the base of the mountain, then steeper and steeper switch backs took us up the face of the cliff till we reached and hiked through 'Refrigerator Canyon' named for the sudden drop in temperature while we were sheltered from the sun in a slot between to monstrous sandstone mountains.  This lead us to Walter's Wiggles, a series of geologic switchbacks that literally ascended to the top of the mountain.  I probably sweated out everything I had drank that morning going up this steep hike till I arrived at the top--'Scout Lookout'.  From here you could see the whole Zion Valley and what looked like the neck and head of an ancient Brontosaurus dinosaur--a long drooped and thin mountainous cliff neck with sharp drop offs on both sides, which then escalated to it's incredible rocky bald perch over 1,500 feet above the valley floor, this was Angel's Landing and our final destination.

The back face of Angel's landing

The view from the hike up

The path was literally carved into the cliff face

Part of the group in one of our many rest breaks

Walter's Wiggles

We slowly and in mandatory single file order began our final accent.  We were greeted with well worn carved foot steps and large heavy metal chains for support and direction.  We clung to the chains. One foot in front of another we slowly progressed.  At one point while transversing the narrow neck I turned and took a photograph of Hunter Corry (a 14 yr old teacher) passing the most narrow portion of the trail where the rocky footpath was only about two feet wide, a chain to hold on to and 1,500-2,000 feet drop off on either side, yet he was grinning from ear to ear!  I marveled at his calmness and apparent joy.  Shouldn't he be scared witless?  I few minutes later Cameron Cooper (another 14 yr old teacher) exclaimed, "I can't get this song out of my head"!  "What song, I replied, "The Iron Rod", he replied.  "You know, 'Hold to the rod, the iron rod, Tis strong, and bright, and true. The iron rod is the word of God; 'Twill safely guide us through'", he jingled.  Hunter had no fear, because he was holding onto the rod.  He knew as long as he was holding fast, he would not fall.  So there was no reason to fear.  So true in life, as we hold on to the word of God (Scriptures & Prayer) we will not fall, but be guided and protected to always stand on sure foundations and be lead away from danger.  Eventually, we made it to the top, ate lunch, took group pictures and enjoyed the view of our accomplishment.

Photo op before the last accent 
The Narrow Neck leading up to Angel's Landing

Peering over the edge on the neck!

Single file climb straight up


Hunter grinning ear to ear with 1,500 feet down on the right & 2,000 on the left!

Careful only two feet wide!
A better view of the cliff drop

Cameron Cooper: "Hold to the Rod"


Gavin Tuttle elects to perch himself on the cliff's edge

We made it to the top!

Lance and Logan Weeseman

Where better to meet girls than on the edge of a cliff!--Go Gavin
The hike down proved even more precarious


Dallin at his best
The hike down was actually harder and scarier as you were looking down instead of up.  It was also harder on your feet as your toes kept getting jammed into the front of your shoes.  When we got to Walter's Wiggles we found it was actually easier to jog/run down than try to stop your body from collapsing forward down the steep declining path.  It was almost one o'clock when we finally made it to the bottom and the sun was roasting.  We decided to go get ice-cream, which so hit the spot.  When we went in to order there were two girls taking our order and Gavin (a 17 yr old Priest) says to one of them, "Does your phone number come with the ice cream?" To which she almost too willingly gave him her number.  Then after getting his ice cream and beginning to leave, he does a double take and turning around yells out, "Oh, Hey, what's your name?"!  (I don't believe she ever did ask for his).  Later, he was bragging about the girl and Dallin (another 17 yr old Priest) said, "I was talking to her first and you came along and stole my thunder"!  To which Gavin, replied (gesturing to his face), "No this stole your thunder"!  

Since we had ice cream we were not allowed to ride the tram back to camp, so we began hiking the short ¼ mile walk back when we came across a sign that said, "Free Tubes, Please Return".  Sweet!  We all grabbed a tube and carried them back to camp.  Once we returned to camp we again went straight into the river, this time with our tubes.  We floated down to a spot with deeper water and a rope swing.  Then a small group of us floated down the river.  We  were having such a blast, then the clouds went dark and it started to rain, then it started to downpour.  Unfortunately, the river had large dense growth on either side and there was no way to leave the river.  We were told that about two hours down river there was an exit, but we had only gone for an hour.  I started getting nervous when I saw lightning striking in the distance.  This wasn't safe and the potential for a flash flood with the Narrows just upstream got me panicking--We needed to get out.  A few minutes later we saw a break in the foliage, we hiked out, found a trail and eventually made our way to the main road.  We ditched our tubes and regardless of being all wet and muddy climbed onto the free shuttle bus back to camp.  Later we went back for the tubes and arrived non-too-late as two older teenagers were in the process of stealing them.  We returned the tubes and arrived back at camp with a dutch oven potatoes casserole waiting for us and another round of peach cobbler and homemade ice cream.  Right at the moment I began reflecting on how perfect this week had gone, Gavin and Dallin decided to break out the tiki (torch) fluid and began a pyromancy spree.  We soon had burning torches everywhere, including in the river dam we built.  Dallin's favorite no joke was, "Have you ever seen a match burn twice?" and when you say "No", he would light a match and then burn you with the end, "see burned twice"!  He then got the idea, "Have you ever seen a match burn three times?"  To which he would light a match, and throw it toward someone, hoping to hit more than one person before it hits the ground.  He then sent one of his fiery flames toward Cameron Cooper who wasn't paying attention, but unlike previous times the match didn't extinguish when it went sailing through the air and the burning match fell behind his back while he was sitting in a camp chair.  When he suddenly shoots out of his seat startled by an acute burning feeling.  His chair now has two black holes where he was sitting.  I guess I can say I have seen a match burn three times!


The Dam we built and Pyromancy!

After the sun set we sat around in our camp chairs talking and eventually, I took over and started our fireside.  Each of the leaders took a few minutes to share some thoughts about the week, life and testimonies.  I talked about the Angel's landing experience and the comfort and security I felt holding to the 'rod'.  There was a real good spirit there and I think all the boys had a good experience.  I could not be more proud of our group of young men.  I know that each of them are valiant and can achieve so much in this life and eternal life in the life to come, but they must stay close to that rod, immerse themselves in the scriptures and develop their own personal relationship with our Heavenly Father through daily prayer.

The next morning we packed up and drove home.  This was the best camping and church activity experience of my life--great leaders, great young men, great camping, great eating and hiking.  I'm so grateful, that I was able to be a part of it all and more importantly that everyone survived and had an equally spectacular experience.



Click on the link below to watch a video portrayal of this amazing adventures together:   

Zion 2012 Hold to the Rod





6 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe what an amazing adventure you had! I'm a little jealous because I've always wanted to hike the narrows. You took some spectacular pictures! I have to admit my hands were a little bit sweaty from nervousness just looking at the pictures from the Angel's landing hike. Yikes! Glad you're all back safe! And I'm so thankful that Christian gets to experience all these adventures with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! What a great week and great experience for you all. Wish we lived there and our boys could participate in something amazing like that. I was scared witless just looking at those photos on the ledge. Yikes! But such amazing beautiful surroundings. I can't show our 13 year old daughter this post . . she already reads Sandra's blog to get a glimpse of Christian . . . she'll be drooling over those shirtless pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures were awesome and it was fun reading your story. I felt like I took the trip vicariously through you in a small way :) I'm glad you had fun, but I've gotta admit, I feel royally jipped for never having an experience like this in Young Womens....but that's a whole notha blog post!! haha Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't you take MEEEEEEEE with you ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great time- Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I was sitting on the edge of the cliff, no I mean my seat as I viewed the young men sitting on the edge of the cliff. So spectacular. So glad you all arrived home safe. As I viewed the Narrows I thought of dad taking you boys there while he was young enough to do it with you. How the boys here in Tralee, Ireland would like you to be their leader instead of an almost 73 year old. As I viewed your hike up Angels landing I thought of my dad who at age 80 climbed up there by himself. Fortunately a young hiker decided to partner up with grandpa just to make sure he made it home. He did and he was awfully proud to have climbed to the top and back. Oh how wonderful are such memories. They build character and bonds of friendship forever. Loved the imagery "hold to the rod".

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment so I know someone out there in the universe is actually reading me: